Serves: 5 Cups aprox.
3-4lbs Butternut Squash, cut lengthwise
2 Cups Onions, Chopped (1 Medium Onion)
1 Cup Carrots, Chopped (1.5 Carrots)
1 Cup Celery, Chopped (2 Medium Celery Stalks)
1 Cup Tart Apple, Peeled, Cored and Chopped (I used 1 Medium Granny Smith)
Salt & Freshly ground Black Pepper
Coconut Oil Spray
2 T Coconut Oil
2 T Water
4 Cups of Water
Crème fraîche (optional)
Step 1: Bake the Squash
- Take a spoon with a sharp edge and scrape out all the seeds from the squash.
- Spray some oil on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Also spray the squash both on the flesh and skin. Add 2 T of water around the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper and bake at 350 F in the oven for 40minutes or until it’s tender.
Step 2: Meanwhile cook the veggies
- Grab a soup pot and add 2 T Coconut oil. Add onions, carrots, celery, and apple. Season with some salt and pepper and combine everything. Place a parchment lid on top and cook for about 20-30minutes on low heat. (See above video on how to make one).
Step 3: Final Step
- When the squash is cool to touch, scrape out all the flesh and place it in a bowl or directly into the soup pot with the veggies.
- After the squash is in the soup add 4 cups of water and combine everything. Bring it to a gentle boil and simmer for 10minutes.
- Carefully blend everything in a blender until smooth or to desired texture. Pour the soup back in to the pot and simmer for few minutes. Check seasoning and serve hot!