There was a time I had no clue a sauce called Pesto even existed but since I discovered it has become one of my absolute favorite sauces especially during summer. It’s refreshing key ingredient basil, gives the sauce rich green color which looks beautiful and tastes great on chicken, fish or shrimps. The sauce itself has so much flavor that you can have it tossed in pasta alone. Whichever way you use it be sure to top it with few sprinkles of fresh lemon juice and ground pepper and you will be hearing angels singing from the sky! Okay, maybe not, but you might be singing out of sheer joy of creating something so good and delicious right in your kitchen! Going out on a date this Friday? Tell him or her to come over because you will be putting on a culinary show. Feeling a bit nervous? Have a glass of wine because you will be just fine. Ok, ok, I try…without further delay, here’s the recipe;
Makes 1 16oz jar
1 Bunch of Basil
3 Big Garlic cloves
½ Cup Walnuts
1 Cup Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
Juice of 1 Large Lemon
¾ Cup Extra Virgin Olive oil + more as needed
1. Place all ingredients (except olive oil) in a blender and blend until everything is well combined.
2. Pour olive oil in a slow, steady stream, and pulse the mixture until you reach a smooth consistency.
3. Taste and adjust cheese and olive oil as per preference.
1. I didn’t add any salt, as it was naturally salty enough for me. Also, I added fresh ground pepper only as I used it.
2. Pour some olive oil on top to keep it from oxidizing and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.